“I grew up in a neighborhood in the South Bronx that many considered a haven for criminals and addicts, but my classmates and I were fortunate to have some of the most dedicated teachers I’ve ever known. Those teachers gave of their time and their hearts so we could have a future, and I felt it would be a privilege to give back some of what I had received.” – Caresse, 2005 Fellow
As a Fellow, you will:
- Join a Network of Dedicated Professionals in a Career with Opportunities for Growth: Over 9,000 Fellows teach in NYC’s public schools, making up over 12 percent of NYC’s teaching force. Nearly 450 Fellows are currently serving as principals, assistant principals, and administrators of NYC public schools. Fellows are intelligent, creative, and innovative, and dedicated to working together to change the opportunities available to students living in poverty in NYC.
- Participate in a Rigorous, Practice-Based Training Experience: Our training focuses on the foundational skills that are essential for great teaching. Fellows practice these skills and receive personalized feedback from their Coaches and instructors until they become second nature. Training prepares Fellows to lead engaged, highly-productive classrooms that prepare students for college and career success.
- Enter the Classroom Prepared for Success: Fellows participate in a program that holds high standards for admission and completion of training. Principals and district officials know that Fellows have a proven track record of success and will become effective teachers who take advantage of every opportunity to make dramatic gains with students.
- Teach Subject Areas that are Essential for Student Success: Teaching Fellows teach subject areas such as math and science that prepare students for 21st century careers, as well as high-need populations including students with special needs and English Language Learners. Their content expertise and excitement translates into targeted, focused learning for their students.
- Find a Position in a School that is a Great Fit: Fellows are empowered to make strategic choices about where they want to begin their teaching careers, and they seek out teaching positions in schools where they can have a lasting impact on the culture and trajectory of the school. Fellows take advantage of workshops, resources, recruitment events, and advice that help them target their job search and connect with schools where they will be successful.
- Enjoy the Rights, Responsibilities, and Compensation of a New York City Teacher: After securing a full-time teaching position Fellows earn the same competitive salary and benefits as other beginning teachers. Since 2002 starting salaries for NYC public schools teachers have increased 43 percent. Fellows with only a bachelor’s degree can expect to earn an annual salary of $51,649, and upon completion of their master’s degree, $58,060.
Learn about what Fellows teach.